De Kat Windmill is a listed building and creates pigments for traditional paint production from raw materials. It is hard to imagine that this windmill ever did anything else. But this, the only Zaanse Schans windmill originally located here, has a colourful history. De Kat was first constructed on Kalverringdijk between 1646 and 1696. In 1782 it was devastated by fire, but was quickly rebuilt. Two centuries later, in May 1960, its body was replaced. At that time, the upper rear section of paint mill De Duinjager was placed on the old shed base of De Kat. De Duinjager was forced by the expansion of Zaandam to move from its original site. This is how the current, composite windmill came into being.